Wednesday, February 28, 2007

cinema

The alarming irregularity that I‘ve displayed in filling this blog space is probably succinct to prove that I’m lapsing into languor…. but that’s not the case. My computer breaks down regularly and my drowning in work…and all my experiences that I long to record only explode in my heart and fail to find their way to this blog…

Im starving..i haven’t managed to catch up on any of the movies that have been released lately..Black Friday, Music and lyrics, blood diamond, eklavya, honeymoon travels…none….

Fortunately after having scoured Radhi’s cupboard…I got my hands on ‘Chokher Bali’…was dying to see the movie…. The story is set in Bengal of the early 20th century against the backdrop of the freedom struggle.I have always been fascinated by Calcutta.I've never been there.I’ve longed to see the Calcutta that I have seen in period films…and this movie depicts Bengal replete with the barge and ghats of Varanasi…Even the use of the opera glass and the courtyards was visually appealing in creating a sense of the time…the idea of leisure…
Though im not sure as to how true to the book the movie is…I was sure after watching the movie that only Tagore’s novel could achieve this…a period setting making a universal statement.The movie effectively portrays the dissonance brewing within the family and the society at large. There was a reshuffling of the human society beckoning a new social order…and binodini (Aishwary rai) stands for this resistance to claustrophobic practices…and the enforced bland celibate state on women. She is the spirited, singular woman, a widow who chafes against constraints and is struggling to free herself from the oppression of widowhood.She is articulate…defined and constrained by her identity of a widow…shes sensuous…but this sensuality is repressed…and this repression breeds a destructive edge…Ash is generally believed to be a plastic femme who merely lets a few tears roll down her pretty face to give a semblance of emotion..but i think is brilliant in chokher bali and raincoat...

Tagore apparently regrets the end of his novel..but i somehow feel it depicts a dignity and a trimph of the human spirit...Binodini struggles to be on her own throughout...but somewhere shes desperately seeking a man to hang on to...and i believe that towards the end she rids herself of this dependence...though its melancholic its dignified....
Anyway...
in my house one of the must haves is a huge space for screening films...
wish i cud make a movie...the kind of movie thats the expression of the explosion in ur heart....
that taps into who you are...

hmm im a dreamer....

1 comment:

goldfluke said...

"the expression of the explosion in ur heart...."

lemme know when this one comes true. wanna see. :)