Wednesday, January 3, 2007

A coerced zest....

I guess it’s not too late yet to write about bringing in the New Year and about taking stock of what happened in the whole of last year…..

To begin with ….I really wanted to do something fun and something that I was not allowed to do since i was perpetually grounded for new years and also cos timsy's not gonna be around next year.


Most of the things in life…including new years parties are not worth the hype that we bestow upon them. It’s a coerced zest….i don’t intend cribbing but the best part about my new years was observing the assimilation of different kinds of people at that conclave called a ‘commercial party’. The other thing that I incessantly had resort to was (as Radhi calls it) activation of the ‘Puke alert’ mechanism….u have to watch ur step. Me dazed as I am…was shielded by my friends from the spontaneity of people reveling in unlimited booze.

Strangely I dint feel like drinking at all….and my feet also seemed frozen. Probably I was not smacked by the euphoria that people around me indulged in making the most out of every penny that they spent. Full paisa vasool!!Actually the Marine Plaza party was better than the other commercial parties or so I was told. There were like 5 parties…in the same building with different themes…sadly I was missing the point cos they didn’t feel any different.

How different can they be actually? Music on Saturday nights in most of the places is the same…actually on all weekdays…that’s the popular music after all. It sounds jarring after a while…I was desperately seeking a quiet corner…that was too much to ask though. I do enjoy thumkaoing to bollywood dhincak music but only after looong intervals, not in the same month.

Im generally not so boring…but part of my usual gang was missing…and I guess that’s what I was missing. The point is at occasions like these…u really don’t care so much about where you are as long as you’re with all your people. I mean that was the difference between the couple (20 something) right next to me dancing like nobody was watching them with glee oozing from their faces and me…..it was just so much fun watching them together.

I finally found my corner…up on the rooftop…they were playing…. my kinda music…. Retro…songs I thrived on..hadnt hread Alice..and that song I mentioned n my previous blog ‘stand by me’. Walk of life…Come as you are….Wild world…Take on me….actually it was a live band..but they did a great job. I found my sweet spot from where I could stare into infinite expanse of the sea without having to look at the streets where people past midnight were still trying to make it to one of those much coveted party destinations. I had the sole drink of that evening listening to In my life, Ive loved u more by the beetles. I know by now u guys must be tired of my painful tendency to break into songs but I’m sure u’ve loved those songs too..so here I go….

There are places I remember All my life,

though some have changed
Some forever not for better
Some have gone and some remain
All these places had their moments
With lovers and friends
I still can recall
Some are dead and some are living
In my life I've loved them all
But of all these friends and lovers
there is no one who compares with you
And these memories lose their meaning
When I think of love as something new
Though I know I'll never lose affection
For people and things that went before
I know I'll often stop and think about them
In my life I love you more
Though I know I'll never lose affection
For people and things that went before
I know I'll often stop and think about them
In my life I love you more
In my life I love u more

The bit about reviewing the whole of last year..i’ll do it tomorrow….

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Came to know a lot about you from this blog.. Love for retro music, love for freedom and color blue ("stare into infinite expanse of the sea"), love for your group ("my usual gang"), love for wanting life to go slow on you ("people past midnight were still trying")...

This has been a great reading to get to know you better.

But I feel you could have made it a lot better. I guess you were in a somewaht 'misplaced' mood when writing. Feel so cause I am sure you would have wrote the lyrics of Alice... rather than In my life!!

keep it coming though!!! :-)

Unknown said...

u just missed me dips.. tt's why the party sucked!!!! i love the words of this song..