Sunday, January 14, 2007

Necessary Illusions....

I chanced upon an observation about resolutions, which I found to be absolutely germane – “We’re often too cynical about how resolutions are never kept…but we shouldn’t be. Resolutions are perhaps lies but they’re lies of good faith. Necessary illusions.” I like the last part – necessary illusions…. That’s what resolutions are for me…elusive but beautiful ‘chimera’s.

I never made New Year resolutions because I felt that I would never be able to adhere to them. I had an erroneous way of looking at resolutions, I guess. Inherent in resolutions is a pact to break them. So I decided this year to not pursue those so-called emblematic resolutions (WILL LOSE WEIGHT, WILL BE MORE ORGANISED types) but will revert to those lil dreams I saw but never had the courage to chase.

1) I will not silence that tune I hum in my head.I will sing that song out loud…. and I will believe people when they tell me that I have a lovely voice…

2) I will not brood over anything lost that is so obviously undeserving (least of all…men). I will not cry alone. I will squeeze my dearest friends to death and drench their clothes with my tears and then go out for ice cream.

3) I will review everything that I took up and left unfinished….and try to do at least one of those things….like DRIVING…(will at least attempt those).So here I come my dear fragmentary promises…you’ll are my only solace. Dear “Promises I made to myself” – you’ll have to help me love myself.

4) I will take up those dance classes – SALSA.

5) I will draw that book of mine called ‘BEING DIPTI –THAT GIRL WHO FIERCLY LIVED OUT HER DREAMS’ out of that corner of obscurity in my drawer .It will not be in shambles any more. Will read that book to educe those dormant promises I made to myself…

6) I will continue to go fida over SRK and his dimples and not intellectualize everything.

7) I will get those black and white photographs clicked of mine…. and my notice board will have more snaps and souvenirs.

8) I will not wear my spectacles on every occasion. I will be comfortable about the person I am sans spects..cos that’s who I am…I was not born with spects. I will not hide behind my glasses. I will buy glares though (Prada…. months of saving up. agony agony. But my style guru radhi shall help me pick the best.)

9) I will count myself as one of the lucky people in the world when I manage to claim that window seat in the bus in the morning and switch on the radio to hear a long lost favourite song…

10) I will smile when kids actually think im fun..and I will lose it with them….

11) I will discover new spaces in Mumbai – contemplative spaces…. riveting spaces, spaces from where I can get the best view of the city or of the sea. I will persist in believing that a stimulating conversation is better than or at least as good as an orgasm (or any other peak experience…hehe)

12) I will also discover spaces where I can walk down that lane with friends catching up on our lives or my constant companion – my music….

13) I will believe that a mosaic can be more beautiful than an unbroken heart and that life is about loose unfastened ends and yet not give up on my naïve faith in happy endings.

I will actually understand that happiness is really an inside job….

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Nice to see that you too keep resolutions.

Just a backdrop on the resolution thing... It has been documented that the thing of making New Year resolutions started somewhere in 400BC...YES...400BC.
People would make resolutions to return back the various tools borrowed. :)

Everyone needs a purpose to do something and every purpose needs a starting point.

I love your first and your fifth resolution. I share them too :-)

Unknown said...

i will keep reminding u of your resolutions, now that i have the time to read ur entire blog ( even though my back hurts) u are a funny write baby.. :)