Thursday, January 18, 2007

that happy happy feeling

I’m trying to conform to my set of resolutions as much as possible and my blog should be witness to that. I intend to document picayune things which manage to elicit from me that happy happy joy joy feeling. Yesterday my colleague bought this John Legend Cd…called ‘Get Lifted for our listening pleasure – an antidote for those morose hours where we stare at the computer screen, brain-dead. He’s apparently a three-time Grammy winning African American R&B singer, songwriter, and pianist. It helped me get into an upbeat mood….
Oh live it up
We can go crazy
Live it up
You and me baby
Live it up, live it up, live it up
We're flying high
Don't wanna come down
We'll let 'em know
All over town….

Music does that to me….its my stress buster. It acts like a constant companion who traces the emotional graph of this girl who is sometimes anguishing, sometimes exuberant and always questing (that’s me!!).

It has started working for me… I sing when I’m sad, confused, bored and jubilant...…
There are certain songs which might not say something different from what we already know….but there’s something about the honesty of the emotion and the simplicity of the the way its expressed – sometimes its all wrapped up in that one line of the song….and crazy me listens to the whole song waiting in anticipation …that one line.
“I swear I left her by the river, I swear I left her safe and sound….’ (Richard marx – Hazard),
“I like the way your eyes dance when you laugh”… (I love the way you love me)…
“I don’t mind standing everyday out on your corner in the pouring rain, look for the girl with a broken smile, ask her if she wants to stay a while”….(maroon 5 – she will be loved)..
“She’ll only reveal what she wants you to see”….(She’s always a woman to me…)
“What I’ve felt, what I’ve known never shined in through what I’ve shown”….. (Unforgiven – Metallica)
“Let me sing you a waltz, Out of nowhere, out of my thoughts… Even tomorrow, another arms, My heart will stay yours until I die”…. (Soundtrack – Before Sunset)
“Its not easy to be me”….(Superman)
“….And when no hope was left in sight on that starry starry night. You took your life as lovers often do; but I could have told you Vincent this world was never meant for one as beautiful as you.”(Vincent - Don Mcclean)
“You may say I’m a dreamer but I’m not the only one.”(Imagine – John Lennon)




Strangely I can’t recall more at this point. The song Vincent, more popularly known as Starry Starry night….is my all time favourite….Its about Vincent’s incessant struggle with insanity and also metaphorically expresses how his paintings are his eyes which watch the world since he is gone. Van Gogh committed suicide.

Starry night is one of the most well- known images in modern culture by Vincent Van Gogh painted from memory while in an Asylum and not outdoors, unlike most of his other works. Every line in the poem in the second stanza carries references to other paintings of Vincent. The violent strokes of brush reflect his erratic emotional state of mind. There is the night sky filled with swirling clouds, blazing stars alight with their own luster, and a bright moon. The picture sets your eyes in motion. The sky keeps your eyes gyrating as you pursue the curves, creating a visual dot to dot with the stars. The heart of the town is the tall tower of the church, which reign over the smaller buildings. This tower descends a sense of stability onto the town, and also creates a sense of seclusion. There is also a massive dark structure that develops an even greater sense of isolation.


It is actually worth quoting in full…

Starry, starry night.
Paint your palette blue and grey,
Look out on a summer's day,
With eyes that know the darkness in my soul.
Shadows on the hills,
Sketch the trees and the daffodils,
Catch the breeze and the winter chills,I
n colors on the snowy linen land

Starry, starry night.
Flaming flowers that brightly blaze,
Swirling clouds in violet haze,
Reflect in Vincent's eyes of china blue.
Colors changing hue,
morning field of amber grain,
Weathered faces lined in pain,
Are soothed beneath the artist's loving hand.

For they could not love you,
But still your love was true.
And when no hope was left in sight
On that starry, starry night,
You took your life, as lovers often do.
But I could have told you, Vincent,
This world was never meant for one
As beautiful as you.

Starry, starry night.
Portraits hung in empty halls,
Frameless head on nameless walls,
With eyes that watch the world and can't forget.
Like the strangers that you've met,
The ragged men in the ragged clothes,
The silver thorn of bloody rose,
Lie crushed and broken on the virgin snow.

Now I understand
what you tried to say to me,
How you suffered for your sanity,
How you tried to set them free.
They would not listen, they're not listening still.
Perhaps they never will...

2 comments:

Unknown said...

“I like the way your eyes dance when you laugh”… (I love the way you love me)
This was the line that won you my praises for this.. Its sucha marvllous song

I dont like the songs that you have quoted. I have never heared them before so I went to You Tube to check them up. Maybe they were not my type of songs... Or.. Cant figue it out.

Music does make you feel happy.. It can make a sad person sadder or a vice verca. Its got the flavor of each emotion thats there inside a human.

Music is a non-living for a human being. It can EXPRESS

Anonymous said...

I first heard Vincent a few years ago in a dark studio... we had just completed our recording session for the day and Richard, the sound engineer, turned out the lights and put this song on. I still remember the goosebumps i had through the song and for a long long time after that.

It's a song i sing often when i'm alone... and i end up wondering whether someone who sees beauty beneath all the suffering can actually remain unaffected in this world of ours. I'm not surprised he killed himself.